Do you have an intern helping out your insurance agency for the summer or fall? Although they may be working with your team for a short time, for school credit, or for a stipend, it is important to treat them just like they are part of your family. If they are a good fit with your staff, they may end up working for you someday! So what can you do to make their experience great?
What your intern most likely cares about includes experience, flexible work arrangements, and a comfortable company culture. Here are some ways you can create such an environment where they can both thrive and be productive for your agency and for their future career:
- Before your intern arrives at the office, make sure you prepare. Outline his/her responsibilities and goals for the duration of the internship so the experience will be worthwhile.
- Help him/her focus on their job by giving valuable tasks they can learn from. Encourage them not to use social networking sites, unless it is part of your job, or be on the phone with friends during the workday.
- Provide your intern with feedback regularly. The only way they are going to grow in this position is if they understand how to gain more skills and improve.
- Encourage them to learn from co-workers. Your agency probably has years of insurance experience, so a newcomer can learn a lot about the industry just by striking up a conversation.
- Plan to check in with your intern every day to make sure he/she understands the position and that everyone is there to help.
- Provide clear instructions for your expectations, processes, and deadlines.
- Become a mentor for the intern. Offer formal and informal growth opportunities to help foster self-education. Making sure your intern has a great experience is crucial for his/her career. In addition, it can be a very meaningful experience for your employees and customers too! Working with younger generations can provide a new life and perspective to your insurance agency. This way, everyone can have a great learning experience along the way!
About the Author: Gillman Insurance was established in 1993 with the idea that insurance doesn’t have to be a frustrating, complicated and expensive process for the consumer. The agency is located in Alpharetta, Georgia.